User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2018, 12:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98250 Posts in 5973 Topics by 590 Members
Latest Member: rblocherer
  News
Happy 10th anniversary to the forum!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Happy tenth anniversary to the forum!  (Read 124 times)
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« on: February 23, 2018, 08:44:09 PM »

So hard to believe it has been ten years since the start of this forum. Founders, Scott Meenen, and Dave Bussells, could hardly have known the impact this place would have on artist and fan alike in the years to come.

Some argued that separate forums outside the CWF should not exist. Some felt otherwise, that the artists within CW had careers before, and would have careers after Celtic Woman. It was never the intention to divide the fan base, but for a time there was a bit of bad blood. That has long since eased. From the start we were told that she did not want a forum. This forum replaced one that had been short lived and taken down on short notice by its creator. So, how would Máiréad react to this place?

Ten years ago last night I was in Birmingham Alabama for the Celtic Woman show there. It was my very first meet and greet. It was my first time sharing a show with other known fans. It was my first time up close to the stage. Back then the meet and greet was held after the show. And this one was huge. It was easily 80 or so people. I had brought a card to give to Máiréad, and I ran into the tour manager in the hallway. I asked her if she would give the card to the artist, and she said I could do so myself as she was one of the two in the meeting.  Odo's Bucket I was half way through the line and it was incredibly humid. One woman fainted. I was sweating like crazy. By the time I got up to the table I think I ran out of fluid!  Roll Eyes

And there she was, the diminutive pixie fiddler. She took A LOT of time with me. I'll get into most of it in another post, but when I told her about the forum this is how it went: I said, "Máiréad, I know you don't like forums, but.........", and she cut me off and said, "Yes, Scott, but yours is different".  Shocked Well, it wasn't and isn't "mine" but I got the message and relayed it to Dave here. She said she was willing to give it a chance under the idea that she could ask to have the plug pulled at any time. We're still here.

I was made an administrator early on, and was the face of the forum at many concerts until Mike took over that role. From the start we have had great graphics artists, the best CW reviews posted anywhere, and been cutting edge in fan gatherings and special events. The first MáiréadFest would be held the next year, and we had several in the years to come. We also raised funds for her charity of choice, Oxfam Ireland Unwrapped. Checks were formally presented for many years. The initial fest was held in 2009 in Wilkes-Barre PA and was of a twofold purpose. One was so that an autistic girl named Kimberly could meet her idol, Chloe. The other was to celebrate our favorite fiddler. The event was off the charts. up to that point they did not generally allow photos. They made an exception and we were granted a great deal of time. At the end she tried to give a speech and thank us but was overwhelmed with emotion and Chloe finished for her. Yep, we love our fiddler. Other fests were held of decent size but the biggest by far was the gathering in Atlanta 2011 for the Believe DVD recording. By the time the numbers were in over 150 familiar faces had attended the gathering on day one, and the show. That night history was made. The forum folks generated full house standing ovations for every song. Unprecedented. The forum has given the artist some fine gifts as well for her birthday over the years as well.

These are just some high points of our history. We recognize that forums have faded in popularity as the social media pages have taken over. That's why we have a Facebook page. It has been a very caring family over the years and many a friendship has been built from it. Many have experienced things they otherwise never would have without it. We hope that each of you will take the time to look back this past ten years on your most favorite memories. Go back and read old reviews, look at graphics, and various other sections of interest to you. We thank each and every one of you for making this place truly special for other fans and for the artist.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: