User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 18, 2018, 02:32:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98237 Posts in 5967 Topics by 590 Members
Latest Member: rblocherer
  News
Máiréad's new albums are here! Get your copies!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: On Broadway!  (Read 176 times)
Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« on: October 11, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »

Rocktopia hits Broadway for six weeks starting March 20th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=hDlFcNa-X3E

We sing before we learn to talk. We dance before we learn to walk. Music is ingrained into our very souls from birth.
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »

That is really cool!

I guess the tour must have been pretty successful.

I'm actually a little surprised Celtic Woman never made it to Broadway, especially during the group's heyday, but I suppose Rocktopia can draw a bit more of the mainstream audience.

I know it's not until next year, but this has been quite an exciting year of news for Máiréad already. A Grammy nomination, 2 albums, a violin line, a DVD/PBS special with Rocktopia, and a now the announcement of a Broadway run, all within the next 12 months or so.  Shocked

Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »

Right? When she left Celtic Woman, she hit the ground running and hasn't stopped. I really feel like Celtic Woman was holding her back in the latter years. Are you going to try an catch one of her NY shows, Tom?

We sing before we learn to talk. We dance before we learn to walk. Music is ingrained into our very souls from birth.
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:35:09 AM »

Right? When she left Celtic Woman, she hit the ground running and hasn't stopped. I really feel like Celtic Woman was holding her back in the latter years. Are you going to try an catch one of her NY shows, Tom?

I think she had done pretty much all she reasonably could with Celtic Woman. Rocktopia, along with her other projects over the past year, have allowed her to express herself in ways she couldn't while she was with the group.

Barring unforeseen circumstances, I won't make it to Manhattan again for a while. That is an expensive trip. After going all out in on Celtic Woman related stuff over the past 18 months, a trip to NY last month (to see Lisa Lambe and Amy Rivard), and one more show to go this year, I'm going to have to be pretty selective next year. I don't even have any tickets to Celtic Woman: Homecoming yet.
Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »

I'm with you there. I was seriously looking at trying to get to Manhattan for the Carnegie Hall thing, but I'm just not going to be able to make it. I'm going to save up and try to make one of the Rocktopia shows on Broadway in the Spring. My 50th Birthday is at the end of March. That would be an excellent present to myself. As to Celtic Woman, I'm going to try my luck at the last minute again next year. I did that this past year, and it really worked out. The M&Gs just weren't selling down here in the Florida market like they used to. They were still available the very week of the show! I was able to snag a couple for only a couple of dollars more than a regular ticket!

I know you spent more than you intended this year. But man, what a ride that must've been! I met the girls gradually. My first M&G was in February of 2011. But back then, only two girls would attend M&Gs at a time. So it was luck of the draw as to which ones you would get to meet. At my first, it was Lisa Kelly and Chloe. And while I was happy to meet them, I was SO disappointed Máiréad wasn't there. She was the whole reason I became a CW fan! It would take me another year and a half, April 2012, to finally meet her. In 2013 they started having all four girls attend all the M&Gs. But you went from never seeing them live to, not only seeing them perform, but actually meeting all the present and many of the former girls in such a short period of time. It must have been mind blowing! What a year! Whatever you spent, I'm sure you consider it well worth it just for the memories. I'm glad to have shared a tiny bit of that experience with you. We'll have to do it again!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:56:24 PM by Ron » Logged

CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 11:18:16 PM »

It was definitely worth it!

The last 22 months have been magical!
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »

Pretty big to be on Broadway. As I suspected when M made Maggie her agent, the focus is on the northeast and especially New York City. That is more convenient top the bulk of her USA fan base but does leave the rest of the country wanting unless you can travel. Broadway anything is not cheap. Staying in NYC is absolutely not cheap. I think when Mr. Peabody ventures there he parks outside the city and tales the train in. For those going I would highly recommend that rather than driving in and trying to stay overnight there. My one foray into the big apple was in 2009 for the CW shows. That was enough for me of that place. Coming from Alaska it is simply no longer in my financial range. Much as I would love to be there I will wait for Rocktopia to come west. Whether they do or not remains a question. My hope is that her time with them will help lay the groundwork for her own stand alone show and that such a show could be seen all over the country. 

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:58 AM »

Pretty big to be on Broadway. As I suspected when M made Maggie her agent, the focus is on the northeast and especially New York City. That is more convenient top the bulk of her USA fan base but does leave the rest of the country wanting unless you can travel. Broadway anything is not cheap. Staying in NYC is absolutely not cheap. I think when Mr. Peabody ventures there he parks outside the city and tales the train in. For those going I would highly recommend that rather than driving in and trying to stay overnight there. My one foray into the big apple was in 2009 for the CW shows. That was enough for me of that place. Coming from Alaska it is simply no longer in my financial range. Much as I would love to be there I will wait for Rocktopia to come west. Whether they do or not remains a question. My hope is that her time with them will help lay the groundwork for her own stand alone show and that such a show could be seen all over the country. 

That is an excellent suggestion to stay outside of NYC and take the train in.  I will have to look into that should I return.  When I went to see Lisa Lambe this year in NY, I stayed in Manhattan for convenience, lack of experience, and due to short notice.  Plus I found an Airbnb that was cheaper than a regular hotel and in a pretty good location in midtown near Times Square.  But as you said, staying in NY and seeing shows on Broadway are both expensive propositions.

I've already seen Rocktopia twice. So as much as i want to see Mairead again and support her, one of the few things that could get me back to NYC next year and overrun my budget would be CaraNua. I think CaraNua + Amy Rivard + Mairead in the same week might be too much to ask for, though.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:39:19 AM by CWazyTom » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: