User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 12:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98200 Posts in 5961 Topics by 590 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Stay tuned for dates on Máiréad's performances in the USA!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Máiréad unveils "The Butterfly"  (Read 462 times)
Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vg2_nc3UGM

We sing before we learn to talk. We dance before we learn to walk. Music is ingrained into our very souls from birth.
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »

This is so cool!

I'm excited and I don't even play violin! Lol!

One might say "well, it's a student model, why not learn to play on a violin from Mairead's own line?"

Interesting suggestion. I understand the violin is one of the more difficult instruments to learn. I played piano when I was younger. I could play classical sheet music with sufficient (considerable) practice. I was ok, but certainly not good. I think the biggest impediment is time. There are some other things that need to be a priority and I'm not sure I want to undertake a long-term project of achieving basic competence.

I do think it would be pretty funny though for me to attempt to play The Butterfly with a Butterfly, twirling my clumsy self about the room, kicking and toppling things over excitedly.  Grin
Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »

I play guitar, bass, and mandolin. Just recently picked up a banjo, but can't really play it yet. I've given violin a half hearted attempt in the past, but didn't get anywhere. You're right, violin is not an instrument you can approach half heartedly. My Mom just gave me her father's early 1900 Stradivarius replica. She doesn't play, so it's been sitting in storage since he died, so it's going to need some work. I'll have some work done on it, then I'll give it another shot. If I'm successful, I'll post a video me......... "twirling my clumsy self about the room, kicking and toppling things over excitedly". LOL!

We sing before we learn to talk. We dance before we learn to walk. Music is ingrained into our very souls from birth.
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Tipperary's best fiddler

Without music, life would be a mistake

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:06:17 PM »

I learned to play the violin on my own, not taking any lessons. The Butterfly was one of the first tunes I tried to learn but after many failed attempts, I decided to try something easier. I can at least play the main part of the tune but after 8 years I still can't for the life of me play the faster parts.

10-11-10 ~ 4,000 reasons to love Máiréad
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »

I play guitar, bass, and mandolin. Just recently picked up a banjo, but can't really play it yet. I've given violin a half hearted attempt in the past, but didn't get anywhere. You're right, violin is not an instrument you can approach half heartedly. My Mom just gave me her father's early 1900 Stradivarius replica. She doesn't play, so it's been sitting in storage since he died, so it's going to need some work. I'll have some work done on it, then I'll give it another shot. If I'm successful, I'll post a video me......... "twirling my clumsy self about the room, kicking and toppling things over excitedly". LOL!

That's awesome! Also ... looking forward to the spectacle.   Small-violin ROFLMAO

I learned to play the violin on my own, not taking any lessons. The Butterfly was one of the first tunes I tried to learn but after many failed attempts, I decided to try something easier. I can at least play the main part of the tune but after 8 years I still can't for the life of me play the faster parts.

I'm sure lots of people know that Mairead is really REALLY good, but things like this help put into perspective just how uniquely gifted she is.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: