User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 02:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Devil's Bit Sessions (family album)  (Read 941 times)
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »

Ordered mine June 12th but have not received it yet. I know that M is not all happy about the service from Pledge for this album. I don't do downloads unless it is the only thing available.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 05:21:33 PM »

I prefer physical copies to downloads in most cases.

Shipping here is pretty insane though and I really can't tell the difference between a CD track and a properly ripped MP3-320.

Mine is on the way, but with cross-border shipping, it could be another week or two before it gets here.
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »

Here's the transcript of an interview Máiréad did with 67 Music regarding her family album, Devil's Bit Sessions as well as her violin line:

http://www.67music.net/features/mairead-nesbitt-talks-about-devils-bit-sessions/

Some of the interesting points from the interview:
- It sounds like her original plan was to just do Hibernia, but then was inspired to do a family album too
- As the title suggests, it's a "session" type album that was recorded live over a single weekend ... like a "1-mic, 1-take" kind of deal
- Over the years, the Nesbitt family basically put all the tunes they accumulated over the years in a dropbox and chose 19 of them
- For the group numbers, there were up to 14 people playing at the one time
- There was at least one non-family member (an honorary member) in some of the songs: Eoghan Ó’ Neill, on acoustic bass
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:14:57 PM by CWazyTom » Logged
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »

I got my physical copy of Hibernia in the mail!

The sleeve and insert are gorgeous!

I downloaded all the tracks from PledgeMusic the day they became available, so I already knew the music was great. I'll have to think of the best way to listen to the physical CD. The 5.1 speakers connected to my PC are good, but the optical drive in my computer is noisy. My car speakers seem to start clipping (or at least giving off noticeable distortions ... sounds like loud vibrating) even at very reasonable volumes.

My best bet at home is usually to rip a CD and play back the digital copies instead, but I'll give it a whirl in my car (the signed jacket will be staying safely at home, of course).

In other news, I finally got around to creating a Devil's Bit Sessions page on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Bit_Sessions

It still needs quite a bit of work. I'm hoping to add a few track notes (ie. arrangers, composers) this week. If you have any other suggestions or info I can use to beef up the article, please let me know.

It looks like I left the Hibernia article basically a skeleton for a while, so I'll need to invest some time in that as well. Again, any advice or corrections are very welcome.

Thanks.
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Tipperary's best fiddler

Without music, life would be a mistake

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »

Last week I received a message from Máiréad saying that she was sending out a copy of the album for me because of the mix up with pledge where I never got it. I checked my mail today and there was an envelope from her. She sent a signed copy of the album as well as a copy of the dvd and a personalized card thanking me for the support and apologized for the mix up. She’s so sweet.

Thank you Máiréad.

10-11-10 ~ 4,000 reasons to love Máiréad
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 03:39:42 PM »

Very cool, CFC!  Small-violin Did get my copy at long last so now have both. Of the two I like Hibernia better but DBS is quite good as well.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
CWazyTom
Celtic Fiddler

One CWazy Canadian!

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 01:13:16 AM »

They're both quite different from other albums I've heard and they're also very different from each other.

From a purely musical standpoint, I preferred Hibernia.

Devil's Bit Sessions was a really unique experience and I enjoyed it greatly.

She certainly covered a lot of ground with those two albums, maybe as much ground as she covers on stage during a show.  Grin

There's such a tremendous variety of styles, techniques, and stories between those two albums. There's something for everyone!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: