User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 01:05:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98200 Posts in 5961 Topics by 590 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Proctor's Theater brings Mr. Peabody and I full circle  (Read 661 times)
apollomoon
Tipperary's best fiddler

« on: June 22, 2016, 02:02:05 AM »

Well... hmmm...time for a new post from an old member.

This is a short review of the show on Sunday 6/19, with a brief review of a pretty remarkable 6 years of CW to go with it.

Many of you probably don't know who I am, but I am not as absent minded as it might appear. Although I have not posted here in over a year, it is not because I forgot how to post, I just have had nothing to offer  Grin. Now, due to the thoughtfulness of Mr. P, I do have a review of sorts to post; so here goes.

In the past few years I have gotten down to 1 CW show each tour, provided the tour passed through my region of upstate NY. Last year I had the good fortune of seeing CW at Proctor's Theater in Schenectady, which is where I saw them for the first time in 2010. Also, Alex had arranged for us to meet after the show, and for those who know my relationship with her, a personal meeting was long overdue.

That being said, I felt that my CW experience had come full circle. I was, however not quite there yet.

Not until last Sunday when I met Mike for the matinee at Proctor's. He had contacted me a couple of weeks ago and said he had a second row center pit seat for me if I was interested. Well yeah!! Of course I was interested.

This show would be a very special event for us both. The first show I attended was from an invitation from Tony to meet his friend Mike at Proctor's in March of 2010. I did not know either of these folks, or anything about this forum. Through a very odd set of circumstances, I found myself meeting Mike and joining this nice group of fans all in one night. Mike had essentially the same seats that night so long ago as the seats we were to sit in last Sunday.

We met pretty much in the same spot in the theater lobby as we did 6 years ago as well. It was deja vu all over again. About the only difference was, and I am certain Mike would agree, that both of of our lives have changed dramatically for the positive since then. To some degree, at least for myself, as a direct result of that chance meeting. I won't bore you with details, but suffice it to say that Celtic Woman can do amazing things for people.

The Destiny show was fantastic. Most of you that have had the good fortune to see it would agree I am certain. My dearest friend Destiny (aka CFC) had seen it a week or so ago and assured me I would love it. She was spot on as usual in her judgement.

Most of the past few shows I have seen have been "greatest hits" shows essentially and I loved every one of them. Especially last year, with Alex returning to the line up. The offerings in this show were so fresh and back to the CW roots in my judgement. I especially like the addition of a contralto voice of Eabha to the line up. The sound reminded me of the Orla days, as I thought she had the same type of vocal range. The set was simple but very effective with the addition of the big screen optics behind them.

I won't go into great detail of the set list as I am certain most of you know it well, but it was the best show for me since I first saw SFTH, many years ago. Bravo to the entire cast and of course to the Girls.

As I sat and watched the show, my thoughts drifted back to that night over 6 years ago. Sitting in pretty much the same seats in the same theater with the same person who was no longer a complete stranger, but an old friend. I thought about the first time I saw Alex Sharpe and was just blown away with her talent and how I went on to build a friendship with her through the oddest set of circumstances one could imagine.

I thought  mostly about how fortunate I was to have stumbled into CW and this forum. It certainly was a life changing experience for me as I know it has been for so many.

So, a bit of Kerouac stream of conscience babble from me. I probably won't bore you for another year, but hopefully if CW comes again, I will have another post to make.

I hope you all have had the amazing good fortune to have this remarkable group of artists and fans affect your life as they have mine.

And thanks to Mike for the ticket...oh and the pie was outrageous!! What review would be complete without mention of dinner  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Toodles

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:16:22 AM by apollomoon » Logged

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:17:44 AM »

Thanks, Monn. Wonderful to see you post again and I know full well that full circle thing. Yes, lives have changed a lot over the years, some for the better and some not so much. But I'm glad for you and Mike it has been positive. I have fond memories of the CW fall tour in NY state in 2010. I too am down to one show in my region. I could have seen four but work and finances just would not allow more than the one. It really is a fine show that goes back to the roots of CW, and I love Eabha! She hooked me right away when I heard her with Celtic Nights. Of course for me it will always be about the fiddler. Wish it could be for me with her what it become for you with Alex. I know your story well in how Alex helped make profound changes in your life. When we did the fan documentary in 2011 I mentioned that a bit. CW has touched so many so deeply and individual artists various people around the world. It has been a positive force for good and one we here are all very grateful for. Hope it isn't so long for you between posts. Nice write up.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
apollomoon
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »

I knew I could count on you to reply Scott. Not much left to say after reading both of our reflections here. Sure has been fun, no matter what got in the way sometimes, hasn't it. Indeed I was fortunate to have built a friendship with AS. Another CW mystery I guess.

If they come to Red Rocks ever again, I am going to round up Destiny and we will make the trek out for it. The amazing friendship her and I have built over the past 6 years is another remarkable story of its own. All because I won a poetry contest that she was judging in the first week I joined here. Fate, plain and simple in my mind.

Cheers!

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »

Yes indeed, make the trek to Red Rocks. That would be very cool and it is an experience like no other.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
cwfan#1
Celtic Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 07:28:51 PM »

I've always loved reading your reviews Scott. I hope they perform at Radio city next year, sonI can complete my full circle. It will be my tenth concert and Radio City is where I saw my first concert

silent night, tell me that the night is long, holy night, all is calm, and we'll keep the music flowing until all the songs are sung
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: