User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 12:44:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98200 Posts in 5961 Topics by 590 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Follow us now on Facebook! :
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Bloody Irish  (Read 3514 times)
Heathbrae
Tipperary's best fiddler

Well hello, all you happy people out there!

« on: October 24, 2015, 07:34:18 PM »

The newest David Downes musical incarnation, "The Bloody Irish: Songs of the Rebellion" has aired now on PBS. This show was taped/filmed in Dublin and features, among others, Lisa Lambe. The show chronicles the week of the Easter Rising in Dublin in April 1916. It features traditional music that would have been popular during the rising: music arranged by David Downes. The play starts with the execution of the rebellion's leaders then backtracks to follow the leaders through the week to their ultimate surrender. There is also a narrator who is an English military leader who details his response to the rebellion and his opinion of its leaders.
     There is no real attempt to put down the English nor to supress the bloody details of the rebellion. It is highly patriotic and a bit propagandistic, and it was received well by the audience. Musical numbers include a few songs done by CW including 'Mo Ghile Mear" and "The Parting Glass," as well as some refrains of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary." It isn't quite a musical as such, but more like a musical play. It's a line-up of songs with a plot to tie them together. It's entertaining but grim at times, and an interesting walk through Irish history. Look for it on your local PBS station.

Robert Scott the Máiréad Fan
From New Mexico, USA
The Pun Master and Master of Disaster
I still love ya', Máiréad!!!!!!!
MaryN.
Guardian of the fiddle realm

Creation comes from within

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:43 AM »

Sounds good. I'm especially interested in their version of The Rising Of The Moon, Lisa's part sounded beautiful in the previews and it's one of my all-time favorite songs. I can't watch it without PBS, but David Downes hinted (vaguely) it might become available international.
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »

So, Robert, did it air on NM PBS? We have not gotten it yet on our Colorado stations yet.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Heathbrae
Tipperary's best fiddler

Well hello, all you happy people out there!

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 12:48:40 AM »

Yes, MP, this production did air on KNME and it was part of a pledge drive (as are all the CW programs).  It had interviews with David and with Lisa Lambe.

Robert Scott the Máiréad Fan
From New Mexico, USA
The Pun Master and Master of Disaster
I still love ya', Máiréad!!!!!!!
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »

Nice!

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
MaryN.
Guardian of the fiddle realm

Creation comes from within

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »

I finally got to see the show on dvd and I loved it. Beautiful visuals, great performances and David obviously still knows how to write great arrangements. One of my favorite performances was from the girl who was supposed to represent Ireland, she doesn't interact directly with the cast but her voice adds another layer to the show. Really well done.

beowulf
Sr Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »

The Bloody  Iriksh was released on DVD/CD on Jan 15th. So you can watch it any time you want and not have to pay PBS a donatiuon. Its a fantatic show that I have watched at least 12 times since buying the DVD/CD. Lisa, my sweet little lamb, is awesome as Elizabeth O'Farrel  who was part of the revolt. Her music iis ethereal heavennly some of her bestt performances. If you have'nt snagged the DVD/CD you should you will not be disappointed.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: