User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 05:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98202 Posts in 5962 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Follow us now on Facebook! :
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Music: A Gala Night with David Garrett  (Read 989 times)
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Tipperary's best fiddler

Without music, life would be a mistake

« on: March 13, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

I just got back from a most amazing musical night.

Back in December I found out David Garrett was going to be in Minneapolis in March. Naturally I wanted to go but wasn't sure at the time because the date was around St. Patrick's day and I had plans to go to see Gaelic Storm on Patty's day. I have seen GS many times and can see them for free at the Irish Fair in August so I opted to see David instead. I am so glad I did. I was in row G, so it was about 7 rows back from the pit seats. A very good view. I sat next to a guy with his girlfriend and mom, it was his first time to see David live. I chatted with him a few times and gave him a few little tid-bits about David Garrett that I knew. I also made a music recommendation for him to check out Lindsey Stirling since he likes David Garrett's music.

Anyone who doesn't know of David Garrett must go to David Garrett's Youtube now and search for some of his videos or listen to some of his music on Spotify. He is an outstanding and accomplished musician who attended Juilliard and studied under Itzhak Perlman. He is one of the first to do classical crossover music and holds a Guinness World Record for Fastest Violinist.

There was no program with a set list but a lot of the music was from he newest album called Music with some older stuff thrown in. He has a small band of 3 guitarists, a keyboard player, and a drummer. Though it is advertised as a Gala, which one would assume is a formal event, they were dressed very casual. T-shirts and jeans for most the band, and David was in black sweats, well worn boots, a t-shirt, and his famous blazer jacket. Though he was dressed very relaxed, he still was rocking the look.

He started the show by coming down the isle to the stage playing Eye of the Tiger. (A stage which by the way, has had another famous violinist and some wonderful Irish singers.) After each song, he would tell a story to introduce the next piece. He had some funny stories about his travels and life events. Unfortunately one of his stories was an 'Oh No' story in which the accordion player that was suppose to be playing with him arrived in the states and was deported right back home, probably something to do with his visa.

When he played the more classical stuff, he would sit on a stool and when he played the faster, rock type stuff he would walk and move around the stage. The first act was about 45 minutes with a 10-15 minute intermission. The second act was 30-40 minutes. There was another time during one of his pieces that he came down and walked back the isle again and on his way back, knelt down and played right to a little girl. At first I thought he was playing to an old lady but the lady must have been the girls grandmother. It was on the other side of my isle and was a few rows up so I couldn't see that well but she was kind of shying away, as a little girl would do when embarrassed.

The night ended much to quickly and I wish it would have lasted longer. We all know that feeling all too well. I can't wait until he comes back for another tour.

10-11-10 ~ 4,000 reasons to love Máiréad
KevinR.I.
Guardian of the fiddle realm

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:59:02 AM »

I`ve seen his specials on PBS  over the past couple of years and he is really amazing to watch and hear. Can you imagine him in a duet with Mairead??

Thanks to Guardian/Brian!
Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »

He is quite an impressive player! I was exposed to his playing through his performing with Orianthi Panagaris. I understand they're good friends. In any case, thanks for sharing the experience with us Destiny.

We sing before we learn to talk. We dance before we learn to walk. Music is ingrained into our very souls from birth.
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »

Very cool. Yes, David is excellent and one can only wonder what a duet with our fiddler would be like.  I follow him on FB and Twitter and will certainly take in a show if I get the chance. Nice that he comes out in the audience at times. Sounds like a great show. Thanks for the review!!

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Celtic Fiddle Chick
Creative Genius
Tipperary's best fiddler

Without music, life would be a mistake

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »

It would be interesting to hear a duet with those two.

10-11-10 ~ 4,000 reasons to love Máiréad
apollomoon
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »

You were lucky to go. Now for Lindsey yes?  Shocked

Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »

Cool I've seen his PBS shows very talented guy sounds like a fun show