User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2019, 06:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98316 Posts in 5985 Topics by 597 Members
Latest Member: Vicki
  News
Check out  https://www.rocktopia.com/ for spring tour dates!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 80's Girl Band Weekend Part 1 Ladies Gone Wild! The Go Go's at Wolf Trap  (Read 1171 times)
Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« on: June 11, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »

A few months ago Walter talked me into buying tickets to see the Go Go's at Wolf Trap he didn't have to twist my arm any! Going to see girls who were popular when in was about 20 huh no brainer. Worry set in lat weekend when I had learned that a doctor told Belinda Carlisle to take a few days off her voice was strained. Would Friday nights show happen not sure well Friday came and the show was on cool. Walter had begged off after paying for his ticket I try ed to get furface to go but he didn't want to take time away from doing work. Well my brother hasn't seen any concerts in 20 years his last was Gloria Estefan's  Into The Light tour.So we arrive at Wolf Trap and yes on time more than an hour before the show starts. After grabbing a snack and drink I met a man who upgraded from the lawn to the front of the pit OPS i messed up big time pit seats were only 42.50 what I payed snihihiig well you get the picture OH Well. any trip to Wolf Trap is worth my time and this show would be one of the best I've seen there!!!

An announcement over the pa we've heard that before right no flash photography or video cool you can take photos without flash I only took one of the stage before the show started figured youtube videos would be up anyway.

7:30 the start seating in the venue the lawn was full already our seats were on the right side about half way down around where I sat last summer for Steve Miller good seats (most are at the Filene Center) My brother said he felt strange being an old guy going to a show he's 58 well I told him there girls are my age don't feel bad LOL hehe. OK its 8 o'clock the show starts they had an opening act The Dollyrots a 3 piece band like the poleice the lead singer a girl named Kelly Ogden she played bass they are 80's retro punk doing some of their own tunes and some covers including Joan Jet's Bad Reputation not bad!!! Around 9 the Go Go's came on and something happened that I haven't seen in 20 years last time I saw this was at Gloria Estefan's show. The entire crowd stood and stayed that way thru most of the show. Music started some taped stuff sounds like Frank Sinatra or something huh well the started playing Vacation the crud went nuts off the hook totally! WOW you think CW shows are loud this was one of the loudest shows I've seen so far if i had to guess at least 30,000 whats sound reinforcement not to mention all the SVT and Marshal and Fender head amps on stage.This was a real cool showthey played songs from all 3 albums and a surprise Mad about the Belinda hit well Jane wrote it anyway. Halfway thru Gina Shock came up front she's a local girl grew up only a few miles from were I did fact I have some friends who knew her as a kid. she started making fun of Baltimore accent she from South Baltimore boy don't get me started on that accent. It was cool her family was there kind of figured  they would be Odo's Bucket other songs Tonight, Head Over Heals, We've Got the Beat or Beef as I sung LOL Our Lips Are Sealed, This town and many others I did buy the 30Th anniversary t shirt it looks so cool encore yes not one but 2 encores Great night fantastic Show Belinda sang  excelant Jane and Charlotte played guitar very well Kathy's bass playing was awesome and can't forget Gina she was the backbeat of the show local girl done good. so if you get the chance to see this show and were in your 20's 30 years ago please do you won't be sorry you did. tonight The Bangles oh yes what a weekend it will be Odo's Bucket

Ron
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »

Excellent review Capn. Glad to hear Belinda was able to pull it off in spite of recent issues with her voice. Looking forward to the Bangles review. I wonder if Susanna is still as cute as she was twenty five years ago. In my twenties, I did the metal thing myself. But these ladies always had a special place in my heart. They know how to rock!

We sing before we learn to talk. We dance before we learn to walk. Music is ingrained into our very souls from birth.
Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »

Here's some photos and Saturday's review is coming enjoy

Wolf Trap before the show

Belinda Carlisle & Charlotte Caffey

Kathy Valentine

Jane Wiedlin

MikeyK
Global Moderator
Guardian of the fiddle realm

All it takes is faith, trust, and pixie dust!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »

Nice review, Davey. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: