User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:56:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Máiréad's new album is here! Get your copy of Hibernia!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (Lake) Superior concert in Duluth  (Read 3965 times)
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« on: April 09, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »

OK kiddies, here ya go, another review for you to digest. Better get the popcorn as usual I'll be long winded.

I arrived on Sunday in Minneapolis and stayed the night there. No problems with air travel. Monday I took the shuttle from the airport to Duluth. The hotel here is very nice. By the time I arrived the gifts for CW from this forum had arrived from Scott-N3jsh and were in my room. Scott had put together a package of unshelled nuts of various kinds, dried fruit, and some more custom chocolates from his friend's factory.

I decided to go have dinner at a hotel down the street where the restaurant was on the top floor and rotated. Pretty view. They have a series of skywalks here and you could take them to get there for all except three blocks. I then thought I'd go down and have a drink in the lounge. I'm at the bar and finishing a poem while having an adult beverage. I then begin to pick up a very distinct accent. I look over and two familiar faces are there. Two gents. Well, I decided it best to just mind my own business. However, when they ordered another round I felt obligated to buy it for them out of gratitude for their contribution to the efforts of CW. Well, in Ireland that is cause for conversation. I introduced myself and thanked them for their work. I thought that would be it but the conversation just flowed and didn't stop. A third gent later joined us and after 2 1/2-3 hours we closed down the bar. They felt obliged to buy me drinks as I had them. I remember this being pretty common when I was in Ireland so thought it rude to just cut it all short. It was a great night spent talking about hurling, football, Ireland, music, families, and general talk about the group. I am honored to have been blessed with such a thing and can't thank them enough for their trust and kindness. They are top drawer folks and I hope I represented this forum well.

OK, concert day. CFC/Destiny and her mom arrive about 11 a.m. to have brunch. We go up to Perkins and get acquainted. Destiny and her mom are just lovely. I can't thank them enough for carting me around and sharing part of the day with me. After brunch we parted company and I finished the birthday gift for Mairead, took a brief nap, and spent a little time in prayer. Oh, yes, during the day Celtic woman received the gift that Scott had sent on our behalf via my delivery. Scott generously packed up unshelled nuts, nutcrackers dried fruit, and some various chocolates as a gift to CW from our forum. The note just simply said "To Celtic woman on behalf of Mairead's fan forum courtesy Scott-N3jsh. Go nuts!"

Well, time for dinner. Destiny and her mom pick me up and we head for a well known place, Grandma's bar and grill which is near the venue. It was a breezy chilly day but I felt plenty warm thinking of what the night would bring.
I laid out gifts for each forum member in the form of flashing flower or heart badges, a flier about my jewelry (yes, another shameless promotion), and a couple pieces of the Scott-provided chocolate. Rigatony showed up and we chatted for awhile. Nice guy. Kelli, conchobar/Bob, and Paul Busta showed up and we ordered. These three folks are good people and sharing dinner and the concert with them was great. True fans for sure. They were a bit slow getting dinner to us so we rushed it a bit but I only had a bowl of soup which didn't take long. Now off to the concert.

We get to the venue and I check for photos of each lady to have autographed for folks that I'd made a commitment to. Hmmmm, they didn't have any. Swell. We take our seats, front row orchestra pit in the center about four feet from the stage. Thank you so much Kelli for getting these great seats with the M & G. It would be a great concert.

First up are The High Kings and four great songs. I had my doubts about them but with the night before and tonight's performance I'm a believer now.
What a great way to get the audience fired up for the ladies. These guys are fun and you're in for a treat when you go to your next CW concert. Thanks for the attention too. I'm very honored. Now a few short minutes pass. I had chatted with folks around me, all of whom had never been to a CW concert let alone have good seats with a M & G. They already had been treated. I made it a point to tell everyone about CW and the concert during my stay as well. We are, after all their best promoters.

The lights dim, here comes the smoke, and that Angel in white with her bow raised appears. Off we go on another journey into the enchanted forest.
I won't go into each song, but will give some general impressions. First, the venue was good, and the crowd was too after THK juiced them up. All night long the ensemble missed not one beat. The forum folks all made sure that the clapping started when called for, and there were plenty of standing ovations. It is such fun to share a concert with forum folks, especially experienced ones who get into it. The ladies felt it as did the supporting cast some of whom I had special reasons to applaud after the previous night. I had plenty of moments with tears and plenty with a huge smile and me pounding me legs and the air with Ray and Nicky. They were on top of their game and the crowd knew it. Marvelous.

Chloe, thank you for those twinkling eyes that glanced my way so much, and for the wonderful performance. You are just a joy to watch.

Orlagh, thank you for remembering me from Rockford and locking on to me so often. Yep, I had a great time again. How could I not. You really are the epitome of Ireland.

Lynn, you hit on all cylinders tonight. Beautiful. You have grown into this role and made it your own. Thanks for being so attentive and warming my soul.

Alex, you deserved the standing ovation for "The voice". You're just marvelous and I do hope you are included in the new concert. You deserve the exposure.

Mairead, I am so intertwined in you I'll never escape from it. I don't want to either. You were so wonderfully attentive and expressive, more than ever before. We exchanged many great glances, and you had my emotions all over the map. A very special moment occurred later in the concert. Courtland had missed the dinner, and did not have front row or M & G tonight. Yet after the  reprise at the end he came down and handed Mairead the license plate with her name on it. Not a common or normally allowed but it must have been prearranged. Mairead graciously accepted and the we had Courtland join us for the short remainder of the concert and squeezed him in. I talked with him afterwards and he is a delightful gent. I invited him to join the Mairead forum. He  really belongs there. I'm very happy for him. Mairead you showed once again  how warm and caring a soul you are with both myself and Courtland. We love you beyond measure.

The supporting cast was great as always. I had some nods and smiles from the gents who I had shared time with the night before. Amy was there and we had plenty of smiles and waves. She is such a sweetheart. Welcome back Amy. You really are a treasure.

Now on to the meet & greet. I had hoped another Mairead meeting was in the offing. Well, not tonight. We had Lynn and Alex who were just delightful. I had Lynn autograph for a couple other forum members and Alex signed my song book which now only lacks Chloe. Both were very sweet and I had nice chats with them. I gave Joanne the gift to Mairead that I created for her birthday on behalf of her forum. I'm going to wait for the details to share with you on her birthday. I wanted it to be something that she could always look back on and smile. It was fun to put together and I hope she will always think of her forum when she reads it.

This was my last front row concert and meet & greet of this tour. I go on now to Toledo and 30+ forum members and about eight rows back. I look forward to that and will bid a fond farewell to ANJ. Thank you Celtic woman for what I consider the greatest show on earth ever.                       

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Scott-n3sjh
Administrator
A Sprite so Complete

If you do it, it will happen... And it did!

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 01:48:23 AM »

Fantastic review, wish I was there with you, works calls Cry

We may have seen the last of the ANJ Tour as we know it. Looking forward to late August.

At least they get to "go nuts".   ROFLMAO

One more show for you, I know things can still happen Wink. No more food gifts planned for the remainder of the Tour... (the boss is going to kill me when he gets the shipping bill) Shocked.

Scott Meenen

P.S Special greetings to the gents from the night before, thanks for all you do.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:18:47 PM by Scott-n3sjh » Logged

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead.

But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternit
CC
Mairead Fan

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:01:27 AM »

Great review, Moscapoet! Thanks for getting it up here so quickly for those of us who couldn't be there.

I wish you had been able to speak with Mairead again, but it sounds like you had a couple of very special nights there, for sure. Good for you!!
Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 05:33:26 AM »

thanks for a great review Mosca mate, it was a great  to get it before my birthday ends, THK seem to be working out alright, as support acts, but will they be good enough on their own.....its not like CW needs to have them, and does their time on stage cut into CW performance time...............shame to miss the Pixie, but I am sure it will come around again...have a good rest mate......we all want you home safe and well

The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it,but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.So it is with everyone born of the Spirit
Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:48:30 AM »

Scott, Great review I'm glad you had some fun with Amy! and the guys from the night before! as for the meet and greet you have good luck 2 out of 3 I couldn't wish for better luck myself. I'm sitting home this morning sick bummer! have a safe trip to Toledo. just maybe Ill go..

Dave

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:05:29 AM »

Thanks all. Here is some follow up that my fuzzy head forgot last night.

Paul Busta gave us each a couple of videos that he produced. I look forward to seeing them. He is actually the first CW forum member back when they ran it themselves. I didn't know that. He sat next to me and it was a pleasure to share the show with him. There was no shortage of avid fans. We started the clapping for the songs, and led the standing ovations.

Bob/conchobar, Kelli, Courtland, and Destiny are all great fans and great people. There is nothing like sharing a show with forum folks.

What happened the night before was amazing, and the gents could not have been more fun. These folks are just regular folks who are simply doing what they are born to do whether it is sing or play an instrument. There are no airs about them and all of this has not gone to their head.

I found out this morning that American has grounded its MD-80's for inspections. That is the bulk of their domestic fleet. These irregular operations, as we call them in the industry, are why I build added days into my schedule. I'm not supposed to fly out from MSP until tomorrow but will start working on this when the van from Duluth drops me off today so that I get to Toledo tomorrow.

It has been a wonderful couple of days with few glitches, spent with great folks. BTW, Duluth is a pretty town and would be a great place for a stop in the summer. The setting is nice and the folks very friendly. The venue was nice too.   
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:47:58 AM by Moscapoet » Logged

Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:22:29 AM »

OKaayy..........I'm missing something here...................who were the Irish guys at the bar, and when did you meet Amy...........was it the same night at the same bar.........................there seems to be a hole in the  conversation somewhere..........fess up Mosca, or its back onto the dart board for you mate!!!!! Roll Eyes Cool

The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it,but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.So it is with everyone born of the Spirit
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »

Skypilot, It would not be in the best interest of the group to name names of the guys. They also asked me to be discrete about it all. Let's say that they represented different facets of the show that I saw last night. As for Amy, I did not get to meet up with her except from the stage and we had many interactions when she was in a position to do so. She was just beaming. BTW, she changed her hair just a bit and it has some light wave/curl in it. The length appears to be the same. 

Emily
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:09:54 AM »

Yay!! Wonderful review!! That is so lovely about Courtland and the license plate. Aww. Cheesy

So nice that you could share a few drinks with some of the guys from the show. That's fantastic!

Glad you had a good time and of course, thank you for representing our forum!  Grin

Okay guys, I'm ready for the next tour. Can we just fast forward to that? I'm in desperate need of another Celtic Woman concert.
Swift
Maireadium miner

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »

Great stuff Scott, with all the security and exclusive M & G involved in these shows it's great to know you can still just bump into the performers/techies/whoever in bars etc and have a few pints. You do seem to have incredible good luck - even though you didn't have a third meeting with Máiréad, I mean three out of three would've been BEYOND lucky! Plus you met Alex for the first time and got her name in the book!

Destiny, we'd love to hear your perspective too! Once you get home and catch up on your sleep, of course.  Smiley

P.S. Whoever Courtland is, it sounds like he'd fit right in with us Máiréadiacs. Wish I had a personalized number plate. Don't have a car either, like, but...y'know.  Roll Eyes I could put it on my fiddle case or something!

"Halling is fun. You look a little bit like an idiot, but kick the hat off the stick and girls like you. Norway is da bomb my friend." -- Dodraugen, August 2009
Craig
Guardian of the fiddle realm

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »

Scott, good review and your energy level is on the max. I wish I could travel and to see them again this year and meet them. Well maybe I will on the last show scheduled here in Los Angeles. Small-violin

Craig
Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »

Swift.........I love your signature under the picture..........throw away the Rappers...............I totally agree mate Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »

Great review!  I'm glad you had such a good time!!  Small-violin

Swift
Maireadium miner

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »

Swift.........I love your signature under the picture..........throw away the Rappers...............I totally agree mate Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Cheers, sadly it ain't one of mine - I nicked it from a YouTube comment on a Máiréad video!

"Halling is fun. You look a little bit like an idiot, but kick the hat off the stick and girls like you. Norway is da bomb my friend." -- Dodraugen, August 2009
Emily
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 05:57:29 PM »

Cheers, sadly it ain't one of mine - I nicked it from a YouTube comment on a Máiréad video!

LOL, I just noticed that too...that is HILARIOUS (and um, TRUE). And I like how it was a comment on a Máiréad vid on Youtube...bwwahahahahaha.  ROFLMAO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: