User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:53:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Follow us now on Facebook! :
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Rockford.....Mairead revisited  (Read 9381 times)
Ralph
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »

Moscapoet,

I am so glad you got to see Mairead @ the M&G.  I am a relatively new fan, so M&G is also new to me; I only hope I can meet her before CW stops touring.  I can't imagine meeting her in person, since just seeing her live in concert is a huge rush in itself.  I believe Mairead is an Angel sent to heal!

Ralph

Emily
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 11:19:15 AM »

I can't imagine meeting her in person, since just seeing her live in concert is a huge rush in itself.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. When I saw them in concert, just seeing Máiréad there on the stage so very close made my adrenaline rush like crazy, so I can't even imagine actually meeting her and speaking to her! It makes me nervous just thinking about it! I still want to meet her regardless, though, lol.  Cheesy It was so surreal just seeing her play on stage, like an out-of-body experience! At the end of the show I was still thinking to myself, "I can't believe this is real..they're ACTUALLY in front of me.." Almost a month later and I'm still in a state of shock!! LOL!!  Cheesy
Ralph
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »

Emily,

It is something that is hard to describe...surreal is about right.  The wonderful thing about this forum is that Mairead can see first hand her positive impact on her audience; and also serve to encourage those who have not attended a concert to do so. I attended the concert at University Park last fall, and Wilkes-Barre on March 20TH.  I could feel the  energy the moment Mairead raised that bow to start the show!

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »

Ralph and Emily you have both experienced being doused with pixie dust and now have the glow of Maireadium about you. She really does create an excitement from her very presence. To see her up close during the concert is just mesmerizing and you can't help but come away totally enchanted. I hope that you both get to meet her in person. She is warm and genuine and incredibly beautiful. That beauty comes from the inside out and she is so appreciative of the slightest gesture or comment. You will not be disappointed in even a couple of minutes with her. I can't even fathom spending a lifetime with her but pray about it every night. All things are possible with God. He has truly blessed us all with the gift of Mairead. 

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Ralph
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »

Moscapoet,

Pixie dust would explain a lot.  Just an observation about the crowds at both concerts:  I had no problem having several wonderful conversations with total strangers.  The crowds in general were courteous and polite. I had not one  contact with anyone rude.  Now granted that CW would tend to draw nice crowds; but we all have bad days....somehow that pixie dust and Mairead's stage presence bring out the best in all of us.  I too have strong faith in God,  and will include Mairead, CW, and all in the forum in my prayers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 07:33:45 PM by Ralph » Logged

Emily
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 06:50:19 PM »

The crowds in general were courteous and polite. I had not one  contact with anyone rude.

I had the same experience, for the most part. Jacksonville was a lot of older people, though, or at least that's what it seemed like in the first 7 rows. I don't know if that has a lot to do with it. There was one elderly lady who I overheard during intermission saying she hated all of the lights and smoke. I think she was just a bit cantankerous though. Wink Everyone seemed nice, although I think perhaps the guy next to me was annoyed with my enthusiasm, as during intermission he goes, "So, um, I take it you're having a good time?" with this annoyed tone of voice and kind of an odd look on his face. I really wasn't being obnoxious at all and was very conscious of the fact that there were people around me, especially since we were SO CLOSE (ugh, uncomfortable). But hey, it was my first CW concert, I was sure as heck not about to sit there completely still looking bored the entire time!!!!!

When he asked me that, I just smiled and said, "I sure am, sir!"  Roll Eyes

It ended up being okay in the end though, as I struck up a conversation with him and his wife (they were an older couple) and talked to them about Alex. They had heard "something about somebody being pregnant" but didn't know the details. I filled them in. They also really seemed to love Máiréad, so we chatted about her too of course. Smiley
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »

You're right Ralph, these ladies attract a better class of fan, and Mairead could tame the wildest beast with her fiddle. I also talk with everyone I meet when I go to these concerts about Mairead and the ensemble. I think they radiate a very strong faith without ever speaking of it. They're in my prayers every night with some added ones about and for Mairead. Glad to have you here in the enchanted forest Ralph.

Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »

Scott

This is true I have met many fine people from the forums and other fans as well over the past year. most of them are very smart people and that's the kind of fans CW has not the rowdy crowds other artist have following them....  well just my thoughts

Dave

Ralph
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »

Thank you Moscapoet, I am honored to be here.  Just a note to Emily: just from your posts, I can't imagine you were obnoxious.  Remember, Mairead plays her heart out for us to have a good time, it is ok to enjoy the show.

Emily
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 08:15:08 PM »

Remember, Mairead plays her heart out for us to have a good time, it is ok to enjoy the show.

That's so true. I love when the ladies know that the audience is into it, and I think they should know how much we appreciate their performances!! Grin

What I'd really like is to be at a concert with a bunch of forum folks around. Now THAT would be a blast! Talk about not being afraid to have fun!
Ralph
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 09:02:12 PM »

Agreed!  Like Moscapoet says:"All things are possible with God".

celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 09:33:29 PM »

Everyone seemed nice, although I think perhaps the guy next to me was annoyed with my enthusiasm, as during intermission he goes, "So, um, I take it you're having a good time?" with this annoyed tone of voice and kind of an odd look on his face.

Don't pay any attention to that old putz.  Roll Eyes  You just have a good time, stomp your feet, hoot, holler and enjoy the show!!  You paid for your tickets and why go if you don't want to have a good time!!  Cheesy

Emily
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »

Everyone seemed nice, although I think perhaps the guy next to me was annoyed with my enthusiasm, as during intermission he goes, "So, um, I take it you're having a good time?" with this annoyed tone of voice and kind of an odd look on his face.

Don't pay any attention to that old putz.  Roll Eyes  You just have a good time, stomp your feet, hoot, holler and enjoy the show!!  You paid for your tickets and why go if you don't want to have a good time!!  Cheesy

Exactly!! I had already decided that I was going to have a blast and wasn't going to allow any "sleepy" audience members ruin my night! He definitely didn't stop me.  Roll Eyes
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »

My first dose of a concert with a large number of forum folks will be in Toledo on 4/11 where there will be over 30 of them. We're in a block of seats to stage right about 7-8 rows back. Before that I'll be in Duluth with about 7 others. Thanks to Kelli that is a front row with another M & G. Rockford was my first taste of that front row thing. Yum!

CC
Mairead Fan

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 01:04:24 PM »

Hi, everybody. Before I go on, let me offer 2 apologies. First, for being absent from this discussion for so long. Second, for the fact that I have also posted the portion of this message that is below the quote to Moscapoet's review thread on the Celtic Woman forum, with only a few minor changes. I had all of you here foremost in mind as I wrote it, but I wanted to also share it with those who enjoyed his review in that forum. I hope you don't mind.

I arrived two days ago and have spent a fair amount of time with local forum member CC and his lovely wife.  They are a delightful couple about my age and were so kind in their carting me around. Thanks to both of them.

Moscapoet, you are more than welcome. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and getting the chance to know you. Our time was filled with conversation and stories. We talked about everything from Lisa's family to Reba McEntire (notice how perfectly Mairead fills the middle alphabetically), and I genuinely enjoyed every minute of it. My wife did, too. Sharing this concert with you was great fun and I hope that next time won't be too far in the future. It was terrific having bookworm and logalogalog from the CW forum there, too. I'm only sorry that there was such a gap between our seats and theirs. I would have put them right beside us if I could.

Well, folks, I know that I'm more than a little bit behind the curve here, but there are a couple of things I've been anxious to add to this concert discussion and this is the first time I've had a chance to sit down and write it all out. As it turns out, this was the perfect night to do it, but I'll tell you about that later. For now, let me just apologize to you all, and Moscapoet in particular, for coming so late to the party -- and get right to the fun stuff.

As Moscapoet told you, the weather turned lousy on concert day -- cold, gray, and misty or drizzling nearly all day, with fits of snow thrown in for good measure. When we got to the MetroCentre, though, we had an incredible stroke of luck. Most of the street parking around the venue is restricted during events and you have to park in the adjacent parking garage, but we decided to take a look around first and wound up stumbling upon a vacant street space directly across from the box office/main entrance! From there, it was only about a 100-foot walk back to the Happy Wok where we ate. The food was good and the company exceptional, but the best thing about it may have been the view of the Celtic Woman buses right across the street!

It was there, as the clock ticked down and our shared excitement mounted, that Moscapoet opened his bag and produced gifts of flashing, lighted magnetic-clasp pins for us to wear during the concert. Thank you for your generosity, Moscapoet. I know you called them 'trinkets', but the thought behind them was the real gift. My wife and I both wore our new pins that evening, but being a bit conservative as we are, we just turned them on during the high energy, fun songs like "At the Ceili" and then turned them back off during softer, more somber numbers like "Carrickfergus". Before we headed across the street to the venue, Moscapoet reached into his bag once more and presented my wife with a special gift, which she greatly appreciated.

After meeting the delightful bookworm and father by the merchandise table, we worked our way down to find our wonderful front row seats -- a first for all of us, I think! Once I got past the initial excitement over our good fortune, I got a chance to take a good look at the 'flooring' beneath us. The MetroCentre is also the home of the local hockey team, which just happened to have a game scheduled there the following night. So, we spent the evening on an ice rink covered with about an inch of insulating flooring panels. If you looked closely, you could see the ice beneath through small gaps at the corners. Sorta fun, actually, and not a bit cold, as far as I noticed.

Moscapoet has already reviewed the fabulous concert, so I won't say anything to blur the wonderful images he has created for you. As a first-timer at front row, center, though, I found that there were a couple of truly magical differences from all of our previous concerts. The first revealed itself at the very start of the show, as the thick, heavy mist of mysterious fog rolled silently across the stage. As it flowed over the front edge of the stage and down to the floor, it reached out as if alive and embraced us, gently drawing us in as the sweet sound of Mairead's fiddle filled the electrified air. Oh, man. What an incredible feeling!

Then, as Mairead moved slowly toward the front of the stage, it suddenly became clear just how extraordinary this night would really be. As she drew near, her features grew sharper and more distinct until I could clearly see the sparkling, dancing fire in her eyes and every individual strand in the cascade of her beautiful golden hair. Oh, those amazing seats!! PBS, YOU ARE MY NEW HERO!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! For the rest of the night, you could always tell exactly where the ladies were looking. I was even able to connect with members of the chorus, something I could never do before. It was so great!

I didn't have to wait long for the next wonderful surprise of the night, as I heard -- really heard -- Chloe's voice for the first time!! And then, Orla's! I know I sound like a nut here, because we've all heard those beautiful voices so many times. But, for the first time ever, they weren't coming just from the speakers. I could actually hear them singing! What a joy!!

I have to offer up a special thanks here to Moscapoet. He was kind enough to lend a "Powered by Maireadium" placard to me and one to my wife for the evening. That little green sign got me my first quick smile from Mairead, and I greatly appreciate it.

Much too soon, it was over, and we were left on our feet, waving and applauding until the last of the band members had left the stage. The Meet & Greet, though, and the final surprise of the night, were yet to come.

Because I'm so tardy in sharing these incredible experiences with you -- and because this post is already long enough for a two-act play -- I'll stop here for now. If I haven't waited too long, and if anyone is interested, I'll gladly post my thoughts on the M&G here tonight or tomorrow.

Oh ... almost forgot. I said I'd tell you why this was the perfect night to write about this (I'm posting this in mid-day, but I wrote it in the wee hours of last night.) Well, first of all, it was Thursday night -- exactly one week after the show. And second, when I went outside just before starting this, to put out the recyclables and such for Friday's collection ... it was snowing again. As the cold breeze brushed my skin and the snowflakes came to rest on my head and shoulders, the memories of the concert came flooding back. So, I relive the memories and you pay the price. Is this a great country, or what?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to: