User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
It's here! The Máiréad Nesbitt line of violins!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Manchester, NH report  (Read 3627 times)
MrPeabody
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Albuquerque 2009. Forever on my mind.

« on: March 21, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »

I won't post a long review, Mel will do a better job over on the CW forum.  However, I wanted to let everyone know about Máiréad's performance tonight.  Although she was on fire last night in Wilkes-Barre, she apparently injured herself between there and here.  I noticed it immediately when her big solo started during SDS and she didn't do her giant leap from the back to the front.  She also wasn't jumping on and off the platform, but was walking carefully.  Anyone who had never seen her live before would never have known the difference; she was the consummate professional and as they say: "The show must go on."  I was in the front row far enough to the right to see that she was being helped off stage after each number.  I think her back was what was bothering her since she wasn't able to bend as much.  It was interesting to see how the other cast members adapted to her.  For example, at the end of At the Ceili she didn't sit on her suitor's knee, but got a hug instead.

I only mention this so that everyone can send their prayers and good thoughts her way to wish her a speedy recovery.  We want our fiddling pixie back to full strength as soon as she is able.

Mike

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:48:11 PM »

Thank you for that Mr. Peabody! I'll post a thread for it and also go sign her guestbook. She seems to be the one who gets the injuries and illness in the bunch. The great reward we get in a great show from her also comes at great risk.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Emily
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »

Oh my goodness gracious, that makes me so terribly sad to hear that, especially that she was having to be helped off stage! Poor Máiréad!  Cry I really hope she's okay and isn't in any pain or anything, and I really hope it's nothing serious.

I'm looking at the tour dates now, and it seems they'll have a good few days rest after tomorrow night's show so that's a relief. Hopefully Máiréad can just take those few days and rest and recuperate.

Poor girl. Sad
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:10:14 PM by Emily » Logged
Scott
Guardian of the fiddle realm

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:44:02 PM »

I just got back from my show... I will be watching for it specifically tomorrow.  I will be honest, I hadn't noticed (infact I don't think Mel or Bob or Joe or Kathy noticed either), but I had been away from the shows too long to be objective.... Sad

BobGorman
Mairead Fan

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:54:20 PM »

Amazingly, my daughter who has only seen Mairead twice, last year & this year in Manchester, NH, whispered to me that Mairead seems a tad less active. WOW is she perceptive! She seemed to be doing a fair amount of running around but NO jumping.

Bob
--
'I am only one; but I am still one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.'
-- Helen Keller
Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 05:58:17 AM »

Thanks Mike

I hope she's ok and gets well soon a little pixie dust to be sent her way!!

Welcome Bob To the Máiréad Fan Forum Cheesy Shocked

Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:05:59 AM »

back problems!..........not good guys, this could mean she has to take a break, I wonder what fiddler they would replace her with until she returned...................how about you CF...........Reckon you can play and jig at the same time!!!!!!!

The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it,but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.So it is with everyone born of the Spirit
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:11:38 AM »

Welcome to the forum Bob! Glad you could join us here in the enchanted forest. If she isn't leaping then there is something not quite right. She puts on a great game face but some just can feel instinctively when something is wrong. Glad it was still a good show for all of you in Manchester anyway.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Swift
Maireadium miner

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:34:50 PM »

Oh no, really? If you're right - which I hope you're not - then that's awful. Maybe she just had a load of cramp or something non-damaging...one can only hope. I had a peek at the tour dates, if they can get through tonight then it looks as if they have a few days' break. Really hope she's getting the right medical care if she needs it, it's even more worrying that she's still got the majority of the tour gigs to do. Ouch. Prayers winging their way up...

What's really strange is that - if there IS a problem - from what people are saying it seems to have been sustained between gigs, Mr P reckons she was doing things differently from the word go in Manchester, and surely they'd have got somebody else to do the M & G at Wilkes-Barre if she was hurt during that performance?

Hopefully we're worrying over nothing, in my own experience you can usually tell within the first 20 seconds of your performance what kind of gig it's going to be. Sometimes you feel loose, limber and relaxed and you can really get stuck in and enjoy it, try new things, wind up the audience, whatever. Other times you're stiff, your timing's off and you just know it's going to be a struggle from the outset, even if you've warmed up beforehand, and then you play it safe. Perhaps she just felt a bit "off" and concentrated more on the music.

"Halling is fun. You look a little bit like an idiot, but kick the hat off the stick and girls like you. Norway is da bomb my friend." -- Dodraugen, August 2009
MrPeabody
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »

I'm just taking a quick break between the Wallingford shows and thought I'd give everyone a quick update.  Máiréad does seem to be a little better today.  She started out a little tentatively, but she threw in a few of her high kicks during the Butterfly and a couple of small jumps during Granuaile's Dance.  It was kind of like she was testing her limits to see how much better she really was.  She's still not 100% but things are looking up.  The show was awesome, of course.  I'm off to the evening show and I'll report back later.

Mike

Starman
Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »

I do hope it is just a minor muscular problem.  I had always thought twisting an ankle was her most likely mishap.  Or the type of injuries joggers frequently experience in taking off without limbering-up exercises first. Anyone with further info on her condition, please post! 

celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »

Let me just say you are one lucky duck to be seeing all these shows!!!  Cheesy

And I'm glad to hear Mairead appears to be doing better.  She pushes herself so hard and gives such amazing performances.  She could stand perfectly still for a whole 2 hours and I would still be intrigued by her playing.  Wink

celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »

I wonder what fiddler they would replace her with until she returned...................how about you CF...........Reckon you can play and jig at the same time!!!!!!!

I just noticed that Skypilot.  Cheesy

Let me say, it's an honor just being nominated.   Cheesy Cheesy  There is just no way I could jump around like that and play.  I'm not sure I could jump around like that when I'm not playing, especially in those heels!!   Cheesy Cheesy

There's only one true fiddle pixie!  Grin 

Scott-n3sjh
Administrator
A Sprite so Complete

If you do it, it will happen... And it did!

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »

I have sent a request to her people to give us any information that they can. We should not jump to any conclusions but wish her the best just the same.

Thanks everyone for your continued support.

Scott Meenen

Please also see this thread
http://maireadforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=219.0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:06:23 PM by Scott-n3sjh » Logged

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead.

But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternit
MrPeabody
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 09:38:25 PM »

The evening show at Wallingford was awesome and I'll post a review on the CW forum, but I wanted to let everyone know that she's back!  Only a little conservatism, presumably to avoid a relapse, but she was absolutely amazing tonight.  Running, spinning, jumping (but not leaping), she was as good as ever.  And tonight's Last Rose of Summer and Shenandoah were, to my ears, absolutely the best I've ever heard.

Mike

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: