User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2019, 05:46:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98325 Posts in 5989 Topics by 597 Members
Latest Member: Vicki
  News
Stay tuned for dates on Máiréad's performances in the USA!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: recap of Dublin (OH that is) Irishfest 09  (Read 3432 times)
Guardtot
Sr Fiddler

« on: August 03, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »

WOW!!!! What a time! (nothing compared to Ireland itself, but there were plenty of natives to make up for that! lol)
Ok, well. I gues I will go in chronological order:

Left for Columbus area at 12 noon on friday, with my friend Ashley and her momma. After getting lost on the way up there (dont know how we managed that, lol, but we did) we stopped at the hotel to check in, potty, and see about shuttles. It was about 3:15pm, and the first shuttle left at four, we were just in time! So we hop onto the shuttle, it up over the bridge and we are there, took seriously like three minutes, stop lights included. lol. As we walk into the festival, I think my heart fell a little. There isnt much at the gate we can into. a few tents, food that is way to American to be advertised (at least in my opinion. lol) and a big stage. But this was soon to be changed when I wandered deeper in to find alot more stuff, and at least 6 more stages. lol.

My friend wants to see a particular band, Slide. She saw them last year, and one of the members even asked to buy her a drink. lol. So they were on a 7:30-ish. In the mean time we wander. I think we stopped and saw some dancers. All very nice.
We came across a "music tent". And some harps caught my eye, so I went in and started talking to the young woman who made them. I told her about how it breaks my heart that a friend of mine received one for christmas a couple years ago, and it just sits in their front room.... *sigh*. Anyway. She let me play one, and so now harp is next on my list of instruments to tackle.
Then on to the boudhran table run by Mr Micheal Vignoles of Galway. Such a sweet and endearing man. Ashley and I REALLY wanted to touch and play the drums, so he gave us a couple drums and tippers and showed us a couple basic beats! It made my day! my weekend! I picked up on it pretty quickly, and he said I have some natural talent in the boudhran. Grin  I was thrilled to hear that. We attended Mr Vignoles boudrhan workshop after that. We stopped back at his table later, and to our surprise he let Ashley have a pair of wooden spoons. Bc we are both broke as can be, and he could tell that she was itching to play something.  Cheesy  So kind, so if anyone ever needs a boudhran, you HAVE to buy it from him. I have his info so message me.

Now on to the music!!!
First up; La Bottine Souriante.
WOW!! mind blowing!! Evidently this blues, bluegrass, celtic, jazz, rock band from Quebec has been around for close to thirty years. They rock! An incredible get up and dance kinda band. fast paced, with pumping beats, and plenty of smiling boots to go around! lol. All of the musicians up front either had mics taped under their shoes, or a mat under their feet to give different rythms. They also have their own tap dancer. how many bands have a tap dancer of their own? If you ever have a chance to see them live, DO IT! you will NOT regret it.
Next, what we were all waiting for: Slide!!!!
I dont know why I hadnt heard of this band before, but they are beyond amazing! Five young guys from all parts of Ireland doing "traditional" music with a rock performance flair. I have their CD on repeat in my computer. (*disclaimer: their CD does sound ALOT more traditional than they do live. lol) After the second song, I couldnt keep myself from clapping along and moving around. Their fiddler, Daire Bracken, might as well be Mairead's male counter part. He jumped and danced around with a leprechaun-like ferocity. (I  told him he reminded me of M, and his response was "oh yeah, I know M". lol) Their singer, Dave Curley has seriously the best voice I may have ever heard on a man. mmmmmmmm........lol This band is a must see. I want you all to go out and buy the albums. Its great.

ok, still to come, The Celtic Tenors (and my kisses from them. lol), Gealic Storm and why Im mad I was so far back and a special guest with the Tenors. oh yeah, and me on PBS!

but now Im exhausted, and have been informed that I have to go to bed. When can mothers not tell you to go to bed anymore? Im 20, sheesh! I guess thats what I get for living at home.  oh well. more later! SO much more

thanks m.k.c!!!!
DALTON
Maireadium miner

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »

OH MY!!!!!        Odo's Bucket

It sounds as though you had quite a time of it.  Good review!  Really looking forward to the rest!

a male Mairead? 

She is much easier to look at than him I'll bet!  Depends on perspective I guess.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:43:03 AM by DALTON » Logged

DALTON THE BEAR
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:45:02 AM »

Oh just wait until you catch Jessie Burns, the fiddler for Gaelic Storm. That is a high energy show you will hooked on. Enjoy!

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
BeckyW
Guardian of the fiddle realm

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »

Do they have this every year?   That's close enough to drive to.
Guardtot
Sr Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »

yes they do! I have been living in ignorance of it all this time! lol
you should go next year! I know I am, it is SUCH a great time
 Odo's Bucket Odo's Bucket Grin Grin Grin

thanks m.k.c!!!!
Guardtot
Sr Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:49:06 PM »

OOppSS! forgot about part two! hahahaha.

Ok! Part Deux!
After Slide the Celtic Tenors came on. Now I had never heard them sing, but had heard the name. Well, now I am a fan. They started off with Spanish Lady, and James, saw me singing along in the front row, so continued to make great eye contact throughout. They sang quite a few great songs, and were cheered back for an encore.They too were selling CD's and signing them, so Ashley and I went over to say hi. (At this point she determined that she would marry all three of them. hahaha) James was the first one I met, and since I didnt have anything for him to sign, he asked if a hug would suffice, and it did. lol. Daryl came down  munching on an apple and signed Ashley's CD.  Then we met James, who was very appreciative of our support and gave each of us a hug and a kiss.  Grin   *we saw them the second day, and all of the guys smiled at us, and we both got another hug and kiss from James. lol. A kiss from an Irishman. I think my life is complete.  Cheesy*

After the Tenors, we ran to the Celtic Rock stage to see Gealic Storm.  Now I had only heard of this group after some of you on this forum had mentioned how awesome they were, and Ashley told me they did some scene in Titanic. None of this rung a bell. lol.
Anywho, we get over toward the stage and my first reaction was, Crap! Its packed!! Now you have to know that the stage and the tent covering it was HUGE! and there were people backed out of the tent and halfway into the feild behind it. so at that point I knew I was in for something great. I parted ways with Ashley, her mom needed to find a chair, and I forced my way through the crowd to try and get a good veiw.  The show was awesome! (I only stayed for just over half of it, it was 12:30-ish by the time I left, we had been there all afternoon and I hadnt been able to sleep for a couple days before, so I was pooped. lol)  they reminded me alot of Dropkick Murphys.  I made sure to keep an eye on Jessie Burns, bc you all had said so many awesome things about her. I guess I was too far back, or too tired, bc she didn’t blow me away,  but she was cool. Their lead singer is quite the performer, he kept the audience into it. They were a good time. Its a shame they were only there for one night. Would have been great to go back and see them again when I could be closer to the front.

I think that’s the majority of it….oh wait!!!!!! I forgot the biggest surprise I had there!! So when I went to see the Celtic Tenors again on Saturday, they said that they have a very special guest. And who should walk on stage but MOYA BRENNAN!!!!!!!!! (of the original Clannad group for those of you who don’t know). I was floored!!!! WOW!!!!! She mentioned how they wanted to sing with her, and she said she would if they knew the harmonies to any of her songs. They sang the theme song from Harry’s Game. You know the one, the gorgeous piece Orla did on the first CW DVD. I was beyond amazed! WOW! It was great!.....

Um… I think that’s it for big things. Other than that the festival was amazing. Tons of incredible music, and lots to do. I saw many dancers, got to play a boudrhan, and a woman showed me how easy it is to pick up on dulcimer. My friend Ashley was asked up on stage with LaBottine, and I was sitting in the front row while PBS recorded Dervish.

Oh! Dervish! They were cool. The boudrhan lady was great, she was really into it. So if you guys see a PBS special with Dervish, watch it. Bc Im in the front row in a red t-shirt. Hahahaha.  Alright, that’s enough of my very poorly written, terribly late review. So if you live in the Tri-State (OH,KY, IND area) go to Dublin Irish Festival!! Worth it! Trust me!

I plan on emailing the heads of the festival to see if they can get CW to do an informal show…..how awesome would that be?

thanks m.k.c!!!!
Godshorsegirl
Global Moderator
Total Mairead Fanatic!

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »

A kiss from an Irish man.... Yup that would make my like compleate! *cough* Damian McGinty *cough* lol Cheesy

BeckyW

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:37:35 PM »

Do they have a web site?
Mrs.PDM
Sr Fiddler

Pixie Power !

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »

I made sure to keep an eye on Jessie Burns, bc you all had said so many awesome things about her. I guess I was too far back, or too tired, bc she didn’t blow me away,  but she was cool.

AWW! She just likes the good looking Irish men and the kisses they give her.
It's hard to play second fiddle to that!!!!! Grin
Susan

<div style="line-height:0px;"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" width
Swift
Maireadium miner

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 08:56:30 AM »

Yep, La Bottine Souriante are fantastic, and longstanding stalwarts of French Canadian music. I haven't heard Slide yet though - they sound worth hearing! Dervish are class as well, they didn't deserve that whole Eurovision fiasco.

Trivia: A "slide" is a special type of Irish tune, related to jigs but often played a bit faster and usually counted in 12/8 time instead of 6/8. Small-violin

"Halling is fun. You look a little bit like an idiot, but kick the hat off the stick and girls like you. Norway is da bomb my friend." -- Dodraugen, August 2009
Guardtot
Sr Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 04:45:13 PM »

Good trivia swift! lol, yes it is a type of Irish tune, and they opened the first night with a set they call "Slide out".
Im so glad you know LBS!!!  Grin  They seriously rocked my world.
And I had heard that Dervish is a very well respected group, but that was it. What is this Eurovision fiasco you speak of?

thanks m.k.c!!!!
BeckyW

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35:15 PM »

Try this.  http://www.dublinirishfestival.org/
Guardtot
Sr Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 11:55:23 PM »

what am I trying this for?  lol

thanks m.k.c!!!!
BeckyW

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »

For the people who have never been there.
Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »

Been behind in posting LOL Glad you had a Great time!!! Jessie and the guy's from Gaelic Storm are great that Pat Murphy can sure tell a story or 2 or 20 or 30 LOL Grin

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: