User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cw in Baltimore!!! Review  (Read 4357 times)
Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« on: March 09, 2008, 12:05:29 AM »

Hello

Here's what you have been waiting for CW Baltimore As usual all of Mairead's pieces were outstanding .she can do this blindfolded I'm sure Cw has changed things up a bit with a longer version of The Sky and the Dawn and Sun! also the drum pieces are more defined.and the great thing I noticed is that Lynn has come into her own no longer in Meav's Shadow. Alex Sharpe is a pretty girl with a great voice and I'm not being mean to her. she is very talented but she's not Lisa....go a head and egg my houseLOL.

I have noticed that as Chloe gets older her range broadens more this is great!!! Celtic Fiddler this is for you dear Scott had printed Maireadium stickers on paper and Mairead got an eyefull of them from row 1.

I guess my huge Amy banner didn't get noticed they switched from half to 3/4 house so MPT could sell more floor seats. I'm not very happy about this my good seats turned into semi crummy seats. enough on that ill get to mad!!

the cool thing that happened was when Chloe said thank you you've been a wonderful audience someone on the floor said you're welcome!! everyone cracked up laughing. this brings me to Orla I love hernew haircut its so cute!! Orla truly shines on the harp with carrickfergus.
Before the show started i got a phone call from Suzan Z she was about in row 20 I stood up and
she saw me with my banner in hand. about midway thru the first half Bill ( Bottle or Bailey) had left
and never came back I think he pulled a Sara.... (seat jumping)I wish I did that to. during the mid
show break I made my way down on the floor to talk to Scott and meet other forum members as
well. I couldn't find Scott in the front row I got a call from Susan she came down front to meet me.
We found Scott and Susan me Him and Mike ( Mr Peabody) I didn't get to meet Bob or Jim this
time I wish I did.
edit 1

Dave
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 07:53:34 AM by Capn Davey » Logged

celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 12:36:10 AM »

Celtic Fiddler this is for you dear Scott had printed Maireadium stickers on paper and Mairead got an eyefull of them from row 1.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Sorry about the seats.  I'm glad you were still able to enjoy the concert!!  Sounds like it was fantastic!  Smiley

MrPeabody
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Albuquerque 2009. Forever on my mind.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 01:37:36 AM »

For those who don't frequent the CW forum, here's my short review of the Baltimore show:

Well, I'm back from my first show of this tour and all of those wonderful feelings came rushing back.  The show started, of course, with that mystical entrance of our beloved Máiréad and a chill went up my spine; it still hasn't come down.  The crowd was a little quiet at first, but that didn't affect the performance in any way.  They loosened up a little more towards the end.  All the girls were perfect.  Just a few comments:

Lynn has settled in and is as comfortable as if she was always there.  Her Dulaman is different, yet every bit as flirty as Meav's.  And I've loved her Scarborough Fair since the first time I heard it last year.

Orlagh's new haircut is very cute and suits her well.

Chloe is as bubbly as ever and her Nella Fantasia still gives me goosebumps when she hits that high note near the end.  When she thanked us after You Raise Me Up, she got a big thank you back from a loud audience member!

I'll echo other reviewers' comments about Alex and say that she's not Lisa but she's good!  Her versions of Lisa's songs are different enough to call her own but are still amazing.  The Voice brought down the house!  I haven't seen it mentioned before, but during the second half she wears Lisa's green gown from last Spring's tour.  I know in the poll the red "Whoa" gown beat out the green one by a sizable margin, but I like the green one and Alex looks just as stunning in it as Lisa did.

And, finally, there are no more words left to describe Máiréad.  Even though I know it's coming, when she plays the first note of The Last Rose of Summer I just melt and by the end I'm a puddle.  I don't remember how they did the lighting last year, but the way they have her backlit during this song is breathtaking.

The seats were not as good as promised but still good.  Of course, any seat at a CW concert is better than no seat at a CW concert.  There seemed to be some lighting problems, not with the stage lights (which I assume are CW's) but with the house spotlights.  They couldn't seem to find the girls!  The sound, however, was fabulous, which was especially surprising since it was an arena setting rather than a theater.  Their voices during Over the Rainbow were so crisp and clear.  You could have heard a pin drop, the audience was so in awe!  The only time I've heard them better was from the front pit at Wolf Trap when it was basically an acoustic performance.

That's all for now.  Tomorrow it's on to Providence for 3 shows.

Mike

Scott-n3sjh
Administrator
A Sprite so Complete

If you do it, it will happen... And it did!

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:19:11 AM »

Sorry the 17 seats in section 112 seats weren't that great but that is the absolute best the venue had to offer once MPT was done with the seats (I was assured by the Group Sales agent that this is what was available before the general public sales) but the venue could have given the people on the even sections closer views like they did on the odd sections. Embarrassed

The front row was nothing to write home about either, the floor seating was too wide and we were too far from the stage (the seats at Wolf Trap were incredible compared to this mess) . Infact 2 people never came back to our left and 2 others to our right walked out after the second song after intermission.
 Huh?

Some tickets went begging, 2 of my guests had to leave as one took ill and Mike Holt (the chocolate guy) was able to recruit 2 lovely ladies who worked at Camden Yards to come take the seats with less than 20 minutes notice Shocked

There was one great side effect (pun intended) when Mairead did come out of her way down to far Stage Right and was looking at me and Walter there was no one 3 seats to our left and 2 seats to our right that she could have been looking at. WOW!! and mairedium prints were displayed with pride.  Wink

In keeping with tradition, 3 gifts: 2 tee shirts from Bot1tle for Ray and Nicky with the off color phrase "Póg mo thóin" Grin in Gaelic and 2 loads of chocolate, were delivered into Rachel's hands! This makes 4 for 4!!!

Even though the seats weren't what I would expect for $500 a pair from MPT I can say the audio was incredible. Both myself and my friend Walter, next to love for the talent, love the incredible low notes that can be produced with modern technology. Thanks to Myer Sound we were treated to 6 of their Sub Boxes that were about 10 feet away from us on the left so when Ray and Nicky hit those drums or they played their low note rumble we could feel the air move under our feet.   In anticipation of those notes I wanted to yell "boom" on cue but restrained my self and after that first drum of Mo-Ghile-Mear I wanted so bad to scream "way to go Ray, do that again"!!! It is almost like the low notes give the ladies extra power to their already incredible voices! Grin

Show was still worth every penny...
SJH

P.S It may be time to send a letter to the promoter as there are way too many people steammed about the seating to just be spoiled CW. fans.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 12:48:07 PM by Scott-n3sjh » Logged

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead.

But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternit
celtic_fiddler
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »

You guys all seem to have enjoyed the show despite the seating issues.  But I'm sure you all would have gladly sat in some sort of medieval contraption to watch the show.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Great reviews guys!!

Capn Davey
I'm a Quater Irish and John McGlynn says thats enough
Administrator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Your Dreams Do Come True!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:23:54 AM »

that mght be fun!!! Shocked

celtic_fiddler
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:53 AM »

For free tickets, I might do it.  Depends on the "contraption."  Cheesy

Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 03:52:23 AM »

You might get the lucky door prize............Odo's bucket......thats free!! Grin

The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it,but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.So it is with everyone born of the Spirit
Swift
Maireadium miner

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »

Any contraption that left my eyes and ears uncovered would be OK by me! Although it'd be nice not to suffer any permanent medieval-style damage as a result  Cool

"Halling is fun. You look a little bit like an idiot, but kick the hat off the stick and girls like you. Norway is da bomb my friend." -- Dodraugen, August 2009
celtic_fiddler
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

You might get the lucky door prize............Odo's bucket......thats free!! Grin

A jello mold might work better for me.  I'm not sure I could "re-congeal" into human form after I melted!  Cheesy Cheesy

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »

A jello mold might work better for me.  I'm not sure I could "re-congeal" into human form after I melted!  Cheesy Cheesy
If I can do it, you can do it!!!  Grin Grin. Swift may have some ideas on medieval devices that would be a bit more pleasant. Heck, put me in the stocks right there by the stage and let Mairead play until they set me free. Pssstttt, hey guard, lose the key buddy!  Cheesy Cheesy. Quite the opposite of torture I should think!

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 04:44:41 AM »

If I can do it, you can do it!!!  Grin Grin. Swift may have some ideas on medieval devices that would be a bit more pleasant. Heck, put me in the stocks right there by the stage and let Mairead play until they set me free. Pssstttt, hey guard, lose the key buddy!  Cheesy Cheesy. Quite the opposite of torture I should think!

You wouldn't survive the stocks Mosca, as soon as she starts fiddlin, you would catch on fire....and the guard would be fried as well...there is one Medievil contraption that has always intrigued me, its called "The Algerian Hook"......that'll get you swinging. Roll Eyes

The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it,but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.So it is with everyone born of the Spirit
celtic_fiddler
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:06:41 AM »

"The Algerian Hook"--I'm not sure if I want to look that up or not.  Might be pretty gruesome!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »

"The Algerian Hook"--I'm not sure if I want to look that up or not.  Might be pretty gruesome!   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I saw it at Madame Tussuad's in London, If you can imagine a fish hook the size of a man in height, then thread the man onto the hook from one side of his chest and out the other, there you have the Algerian Hook......you just hang there a bit like the toy soccer players on those game tables..........We were thinking of getting one to place in the lounge room, when our daughters start to date, we figure it will be a great talking point with any prospective boyfriends. Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy..........I dont know how we got from free seats to medieval contraptions, but I figure the cost of a ticket and a M&G ticket would be as painful as a swing on the Hook..........I'd go for Odo's bucket CF.at least you get to cuddle the Walrus at intermission and get to share his mackrel

Swift
Maireadium miner

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »

celtic_fiddler: Not sure if I want to look that up!

Skypilot: Well, I'll just tell ya anyway, it's a kind of giant meathook for people...  Cheesy You legend.

At least you'd have a good vantage point and probably get noticed by the performers - I doubt Máiréad would manage to miss anybody dangling several feet above the audience.

Someone's going to have to explain this whole Odo thing to me...who exactly is Odo and why does he/she have a bucket? Walrus ... is Odo some sort of marine mammal?! I've gathered that the bucket is quite handy due to the likelihood of physically melting at these gigs, but I'm obviously missing some info.

"Halling is fun. You look a little bit like an idiot, but kick the hat off the stick and girls like you. Norway is da bomb my friend." -- Dodraugen, August 2009
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: