User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:56:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Máiréad's new album is here! Get your copy of Hibernia!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Review from the Birmingham newspaper  (Read 2283 times)
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« on: February 25, 2008, 10:59:49 PM »

A nice review of the concert is located at http://blog.al.com/scene/2008/02/celtic_woman_performs_well_at.html

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »

Nice Article.  The "firecracker fiddler".   Grin Grin Grin

By the way, when I saw it was at the BJCC my first thought was dang that must be one huge JCC to host a concert!!!  A JCC (Jewish Community Center) is the Jewish equivalent of a YMCA. Silly me...........Jefferson Community Center  Cheesy

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »

Hmmmm, so what do you think the reaction would be if they played at a JCC? It might be interesting.

celtic_fiddler
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:37:25 PM »

I think they'd be well received.  Beautiful music is always appreciated.  They would definitely love Mairead.  My people are known to be partial to the violin....... Small-violin  Grin Grin

Skypilot
Total Mairead Fanatic!

Zebra's tell no lies

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:43:16 AM »

I don't agree Mosca, this critic only gave them a three out of five rating.........this person goes on to say, its not everyones taste..............well call me biased, but I think he needs to get some qualifications as a critic, you were there mate, what star rating do you reckon they are

The wind blows wherever it pleases, you hear it,but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.So it is with everyone born of the Spirit
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:59:44 AM »

Well as American reviewers go this was better than most which is sad. They aren't everyone's taste which is true and apparently not to that reviewers. Yes sir, I too am very biased in this regard. I have never seen anything less than five stars from this ensemble. There are several reviews I looked at that are much worse and I've commented on them over in the CW forum. One was so bad that it gave Mairead the last name Loughmore. I wrote a very stern reply and told that person they had no credibility if they couldn't get the name right and do their research. She actually came on the forum and posted starting with "Um, I wrote that". She went on to try and explain away her criticism of Mairead. Sorry, you don't attack the fairy lady!!!!!!!!! We here in the enchanted forest are very protective of our the one in whose name this place was made. Trust me, you don't want to see that review which is why I did not bring over the link.
        Fiddler, your people are partial to the violin? Really?  Roll Eyes Wink. I'd have never guessed that! Cheesy Cheesy. So, how are Yochanan and Zevida getting along? You still play her too right? It would not be you without the purple fiddle.

celtic_fiddler
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »

Fiddler, your people are partial to the violin? Really?  Roll Eyes Wink. I'd have never guessed that! Cheesy Cheesy. So, how are Yochanan and Zevida getting along? You still play her too right? It would not be you without the purple fiddle.

Oh yes, I still play her too.  I'm playing him more so that I can be familiar with all his little details.  He requires slightly different bow work and of course left hand fingering is slightly different with his thinner neck.  So I've been playing him to develop that special bond.   Smiley  Kind of like a baby zebra memorizing it's mama's stripes!!   Cheesy

I hadn't read that article from "singingtoast".  She's calling Alex and Lynn "not Lisa" and "not Meav".  That's where I stopped reading it--obviously not worth the time it would take.   Roll Eyes

Scott-n3sjh
Administrator
A Sprite so Complete

If you do it, it will happen... And it did!

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:23:19 PM »

Smiley To whoever believes these reviews instead of checking out YouTube or other media and seeing for themself, makes the decision to not go to a show. That leaves more for us! Small-violin

Love the new smileys...

S
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:26:21 PM by Scott-n3sjh » Logged

Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead.

But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternit
Starman
Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 06:35:58 PM »

When a reviewer says "They played to a full house...and the audience adored them, but.....".   The reviewer's implied insult is more to the audience than to the performers!! He might have as well have continued "..but what do our local yokels know".  Cheesy

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »

Great point!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: