User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 10:55:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98226 Posts in 5964 Topics by 589 Members
Latest Member: Michael L
  News
Stay tuned for dates on Máiréad's performances in the USA!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Augusta Review....the Devil Went Down in Georgia 2  (Read 2245 times)
JByrd
Mairead Fan

« on: February 25, 2008, 03:48:22 AM »

One of Mairead's inspirations must be Charlie Daniels.  Otherwise I can't explain the fact that in all of the 15 or so CW shows I have seen, her best two performances I have attended were both in Georgia.

About 30 years ago, Charlie D. picked up a fiddle and ran the Devil right out of Georgia........and every time I have seen Mairead perform in the state it was as though she picked up her fiddle to solidify the fact that the Devil would never return again.

As many times as I've seen the show......last night there just seemed to be notes flying off of her bow that usually aren't there.  Her leaps were higher, her smile was brighter, and her influence over the audience was greater than I've ever seen it.

To start with.....this was probably the most "CW illiterate" crowd I've seen at a CW concert since the first one I attended in 2005.  It was concert night in Augusta, and Augusta's finest had come out.....not because CW was in town, but becuase it was concert night in Augusta.

To be sure, there were enough CW fans around to insure a sell out crowd in the Bell Auditorium....and too...some of the Augusta folk had seen CW on PBS, but mostly the crowd was there to "see and be seen," and they were ready to be entertained.  Even if the guests on stage didn't do the entertaining, they were prepared to entertain themselves.

Try to start a converstion about Orla.....you get a blank look followed by "Is she the one who plays the fiddle?"  Thus, was the atmosphere in Augusta last night, and little did they know what was about to happen to them, and their city.

The couple in front of us looked at us as though we were crazy when we told them this was our umpteeth concert.

Then the lights dimmed and the girls came out to perform "THE SKY AND THE DAWN AND THE SUN."  The crowd didn't seem to be ready to be entertained on this level, but as you know.....CW was ready. 

They seemed somewhat "stunned" as Alex came out to sing Caledonia.  This was probably Alex's first chance to be pure Alex.  There were no comparisons from this crowd.....most of them didn't even know who Lisa Kelly was anyway!  It was pure Alex, and they began to fall in love with her.  I began to fall in love with her, too.

Then Mairead came out.

Oh, Mairead.

Every eye in the auditorium was focused....every ear tuned...every face began to wear a smile.....then a grin.  Mairead had turned a pleasant Augusta evening into "the Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia."

You all pretty much know the rest of the story.....what has already happened to us happened to the city of Augusta.

As the concert ended, the couple who had thought we were crazy turned and said, "we'll see you at a Celtic Woman concert somewhere, for sure!"

Later, JB

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:19:44 AM by JByrd » Logged

John
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »

JByrd thank you for that impression from Augusta. When you are the only forum member at a concert you sure do feel the need to let all around you know about the special people they are about to see and hear. We are their front line ambassadors. Thank you for being that for CW and Mairead in Augusta. If anyone left that venue without being impressed by Mairead then they must have slept through it, which would have been like sleeping through "The guns of Navarone". There is no way the devil could get anywhere near that pixie conduit from God when she has filled a venue with her beautiful soul. It seems that "The butterfly" is where the crowd first begins to get energized. It must be the Maireadium dousing the audience with its extract of pixie dust.  Small-violin on fair maiden  Small-violin on. Thanks for the report from Augusta. 

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
Jason
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »

As the concert ended, the couple who had thought we were crazy turned and said, "we'll see you at a Celtic Woman concert somewhere, for sure!"

That's just awesome.
celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »

Great review!!!  Glad you enjoyed the show.   Grin Grin

JByrd
Mairead Fan

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 05:16:41 PM »

Thanks, everybody.... Smiley

You know?   The more I've thought about it......Charlie Daniels my have nothing to do with it at all!

Maybe Mairead was flying so high because she finally got to meet Moscapoet on Friday!!!!!  Cheesy

Anyway....it's on the Greensboro tomorrow night!  Wish me MnG luck!

John
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »

Thanks, everybody.... Smiley

You know?   The more I've thought about it......Charlie Daniels my have nothing to do with it at all!

Maybe Mairead was flying so high because she finally got to meet Moscapoet on Friday!!!!!  Cheesy

Anyway....it's on the Greensboro tomorrow night!  Wish me MnG luck!
Grin Grin Grin. Well that's a nice thought, but I think it is more likely she was high on the gifts two nights in a row. That portrait Artist! did that she received in Pensacola, and the chocolate fiddles from me in Birmingham were both symbols of how much she is loved. Best of luck in the meet & greet in Greensboro. It would be cool if it was Mairead and Lynn again. If Mairead is there let her know you're in her forum. I do hope Lynn will be there for you. She really is lovely. Let us know how it goes. Have a great time!

celtic_fiddler
Keeper of the Purple Violin
Super Global Moderator
Tipperary's best fiddler

Classical until I'm Baroque.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »

Have a fabulous time tomorrow!!!  Here's some pixie dust for luck:

Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin. I can't stop laughing at that!!!!!!!!!!  Grin Grin Grin. I love that graphic! Please pat the pixie gently we don't want an overdose of pixie dust.  Grin Grin. That is great fiddler!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: