User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2019, 05:38:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
  Search
  Stats
98316 Posts in 5985 Topics by 597 Members
Latest Member: Vicki
  News
It's here! The Máiréad Nesbitt line of violins!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Riverdance in Baltimore  (Read 1478 times)
Moscapoet
Administrator Emeritus
Administrator
Taoiseach

« on: March 17, 2009, 10:47:28 AM »

Well, fresh on the heels of Celtic Woman in New York City two nights comes this. Forum member Dwight had mentioned that Riverdance was playing in Baltimore the night we returned from New York. Sara 07NWgrad checked on her phone the day before and said there were still orchestra seats available. So, upon arriving home we took a short break and then Capn Davey, Dwight, and I headed to the Hippodrome theater for the 6:30 show. This would be a good test run for the Celtic Woman shows a couple days later. It would also acquaint us with the venue and ours seats for CW.

We arrive in plenty of time and get seats in row G orchestra for $60 each. This is a beautiful old venue with great acoustics that seats around 2200 on two levels. I'm already thinking ahead about CW and how perfect this place is for them. Parking is convenient though not cheap at $15 for the event. There is also an Irish pub just up the street.

This will be the first time either Dave or I have seen Riverdance. This is the progenitor of all the Irish shows and it took far to long for me to finally see it.

The show is in two acts with a 15 minute break in between. There is a small band and a choir as well as the dancers. Like Celtic Woman this show has both fast pieces and slow ones that include instrumental, vocals, and dance. All are very good. As good as their fiddler is though I find myself wishing it were Mairead up there. Yeah I know I'm spoiled.  ::)Same thing though goes for the vocals and I can hear Lisa or Lynn singing the parts. But then there is the dancing. Oh my this is a small stage so folks are a bit compacted but they use it well. I especially like the ensemble pieces that has dozens of dancers all in step and filled with energy. This was well worth the ticket. Could it replace CW for me? Not a chance. But it is a wonderful vehicle of expression that any fan of Irish music and dance should see at least once.

I bought a souvenir copy program which is the same size and quality as the CW one. Those were $15. It is my understanding this tour will wrap up Riverdance here in the states so get to a show near you if you have not seen it yet. This is the show that began it all and likely CW would not exist without it. Go see this and have a great time.

An fidléir's mínealaíne i sprite iomlán sin
mpdallen
Guardian of the fiddle realm

Integrity

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »

Moscapoet,
Glad you Dave and Dwight got to see the show on the last tour. Yes it was a good show, and Ann, Don and I went to see it in Nashville on 2-27-09. It is a good show, but there is no comparison to Celtic Woman. I believe our program cost $10., and I was surprised it did not cost more, as it is a quality program.

So many shows in so short a time; but you have to see them when they are there, or they will be gone.

Very good review.

Jim

If you promise to send me a song.........
edtom
Sr Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »

I saw Riverdance (with Lisa Cheesy) twice several years ago at the Clemens Center in Elmira, NY. And then, I saw it again three years ago at the Clemens Center. It was at this performance that my brother and sister in law Bill and Sandy first told me about a great show they had recently seen.
Something called Celtic Woman.
Phillip
Sr Fiddler

Is fearr dhá theanga ná ceann amháin…

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »

My wife and I saw Riverdance here in B'ham, she went with her family first and told me I HAD to see it. She bought us tickets and we saw it on the last night it was here. We were on the 3rd row, it was GREAT I would love to see it again. I have seen the DVD and wasn't really impressed, but in person it was awesome. This is one of those performances where watching it on TV does not do it justice, like a CW concert, it has to be experienced.

Is fearr dhá theanga ná ceann amháin…
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: